ISELF is a class that is designed to help students to build knowledge and skills of strategies that help to improve their academic success as well as their mental and emotional wellbeing.
Based on the science of Positive Psychology, ISELF uses theories developed by Martin Seligman, Carol Dweck, Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi and many others in the forefront of research.
The theories that underpin the explicit teaching of ISELF at Epping Secondary College include the following:
WHAT IS TAUGHT IN ISELF?
- Martin Seligman’s model of wellbeing (PERMA) and how these 5 elements relate to wellbeing and being a good learner.
- Carol Dweck’s theory on Growth Mindset and how this helps to create resilient and persistent learners
- Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi’s theory on Flow and it’s benefit to engagement and (according to Seligman’s PERMA theory) authentic ‘happiness’
- The science of Neuroplasticity which underpins everything in the field of positive psychology.
- The VIA Character Strengths: By building on our character strengths we can increase our overall wellbeing as well as our success across a range of areas of life, including academic study.