“At Epping Secondary College, we acknowledge that each student is different and will have their own unique set of learning needs. We also recognise that as a school, it is our responsibility to meet the needs of all of our students to ensure that they achieve the very best outcomes.”
Helene Alamidis, Principal
What is the ACE program?
How does it work?
- are able to maintain social connections with peers of a range of abilities
- are less likely to experience negative labelling or stereotyping
- are able to be accelerated in specific subject areas or globally depending on individual student needs
- benefit from being in class with less able peers as they learn to understand the different ways in which people approach cognitive tasks
- feel more comfortable when there are other students just like them in the class
- develop social and life skills through collaborative problem solving with others who are operating at a range of levels
Who is it suitable for?
The ACE program is suitable for students who perform at a very high level and feel as though they are not always challenged in the regular classroom. It can also be suitable for students who have very high ability but don’t tend to perform as well due to disengagement from the regular curriculum.
In order to be considered for the ACE program at Epping Secondary College, students need to demonstrate that they are cognitively ready for acceleration. This is determined through an independent assessment run by Academic Assessment Services (AAS) that will assess student reasoning capacity as well as their performance in Maths, Reading Comprehension, Writing Skills and Spelling.
TESTING SESSION DETAILS
In 2019, the details for the ACE testing session are:
Date: Time: Cost: $60
2nd April, 2019
8.30 am until 12.30pm
The testing session starts at 8.30 am and students will need to be at the college by 8.15 am.
The testing session runs for a total of 31⁄2 hours and breaks are provided during this time.
Students are required to bring a blue or black pen, a pencil, eraser, drink bottle and light snack for the break periods.
Students will need to be collected from the college at 12.30pm.
There is a small cost for students to sit the test. This fee is non-refundable in the event that your child is not offered a place and is to cover administration costs of the test.
If you would like your child to be considered for this program, you will need to book a testing place by returning the expression of interest form along with the testing fee to the school prior to 01/04/2019.
If posting your forms, please do not send cash. We are able to take credit card payments over the phone or, alternatively you may send a cheque made out to Epping Secondary College.