The VCE Vocational Major (VM) is a vocational and applied learning program within the VCE designed to be completed over a minimum of two years. The VCE VM will give students greater choice and flexibility to pursue their strengths and interests and develop the skills and capabilities needed to succeed in further education, work and life.
It prepares students to move into apprenticeships, traineeships, further education and training, university (via non-ATAR pathways) or directly into the workforce.
The purpose of the VCE VM is to provide students with the best opportunity to achieve their personal goals and aspirations in a rapidly changing world by:
- equipping them with the skills, knowledge, values and capabilities to be active and informed citizens, lifelong learners and confident and creative individuals
- empowering them to make informed decisions about the next stages of their lives through real-life workplace experiences.
Satisfactory Completion of VCE-VM
The minimum VCE VM requirement is the satisfactory completion of 16 units, which must include:
- Three VCE VM Literacy or VCE English units (including a Unit 3-4 sequence)
- Two VCE VM Numeracy or VCE Mathematics units
- Two VCE VM Work Related Skills units
- Two VCE VM Personal Development Skills units
- A minimum of three additional Unit 3-4 sequences, which can include other VCE or VCE VET studies
- A minimum of 180 nominal hours of VET at Certificate II level or above
Upon satisfactory completion of the VCE VM program, the student will receive the appellation of ‘Vocational Major’ on their VCE certificate.
The Victorian Pathways Certificate (VPC) is a new inclusive and flexible certificate.
It offers an engaging curriculum and additional support for students to develop the work-related skills and capabilities you need to succeed. The coursework is designed and delivered at a more accessible level than the VCE and VCE Vocational Major.
The VPC has replaced Foundation VCAL.
Study options in the VPC
Your VPC will include:
- VPC Literacy (or VCE English options like VCE VM Literacy)
- VPC Numeracy (or VCE Mathematics options like VCE VM Numeracy)
- VPC Work Related Skills
- VPC Personal Development Skills
- spending some time in a workplace as part of your learning. This is known as Structured Workplace Learning.